List of Police Officers ranks in India
The following are ranks in the police forces of India.
Gazetted officers include all the Indian Police Service officers and all State Police Services officers of and above the rank of Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) or Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) in Metropolitan Police and State Police forces respectively.
Ranks of Gazetted Officers
- DIB - Director Intelligence Bureau (post held by senior most Indian Police Service officer; not a rank)
- CP or DGP - Commissioner of Police (State) or Director General of Police
- SCP or ADGP - Special Commissioner of Police or Additional Director General of Police
- JCP or IGP - Joint Commissioner of Police or Inspector General of Police
- ADL.CP or DIG - Additional Commissioner of Police or Deputy Inspector General of Police
- DCP or SSP - Deputy Commissioner of Police or Senior Superintendent of Police or Senior Commandant
- DCP or SP - Deputy Commissioner of Police or Superintendent of Police or Commandant
- ADL.DCP or ASP - Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police or Additional Superintendent of Police or Deputy Commandant
- ACP or DCP - Assistant Commissioner of Police or Deputy Superintendent of Police or Assistant Commandant
- ASST.SP - Assistant Superintendent of Police (IPS Probationary Rank: 2 years of service)
- ASST.SP - Assistant Superintendent of Police (IPS Probationary Rank: 1 year of service)
Although DIB is a 4 star post and not a rank, it's given to the senior most IPS officer in Intelligence Bureau.
Rank insignia of CP/DGP is similar to Spl.CP/ADGP (not shown above).
Note: Commissioner of Police designation can only be used by ADL.CP/DIG, JCP/IGP and CP/DGP, where the latter is called Commissioner of Police (State) and the former ones Commissioner of Police (City).
Note: Gazetted officers belonging to Indian State Police Service(s) lie between ranks ACP/DSP and DCP/SSP.To gain promotion to ADL.CP/DIG rank, officers undergo training and hence are awarded IPS.
Ranks of Non-Gazetted Officers
- INS - Inspector of Police
- SI - Sub-Inspector of Police
- ASI - Assistant Sub-Inspector of Police
- HPC - Police Head Constable
- SPC - Senior Police Constable
- PC - Police Constable
Police Constable has no insignia except the khaki uniform.
Note:Colour pattern and size of chevron may vary according to the different rules of several distinct Indian State Police Services.
Insignia of Gazetted and Non-Gazetted Officers